Jaisalmer

I visited India for 3 weeks in January, and while I do want to write many things and share many pictures from that trip, for now let me just say it was an amazing experience.

This picture is from my first week there. I took it in Jaisalmer inside the fort that is at the heart of that place. It is currently my desktop background and I find myself studying the little details that, at the time, I did not even notice: the little painted designs on the left, the things etched into that weathered door, the broom perched on what might be a drainage spout.

What draws me in the most is the woman's veiled face. Did she cover herself because I was taking the picture? Did I catch her in the middle of a readjustment? Is her expression a response to me and my camera? The glare of the sun? Neither? I have no idea. This was just an unthinking snapshot, a quick raise of the camera and click. I did not even break my stride or otherwise interact with the woman and child. It's only now that I really look and wonder.

0 comments :

Older

       

Newer