While I'm currently coming to terms with my return to the suburbs of Toronto, it was only five weeks ago that I landed at Suvarnabhumi Airport, hailed a taxicab, recited my carefully rehearsed Thai directions to the driver, and caught my first bleary glimpses of Bangkok through a rainy car window.

Bangkok

Bangkok


Shortly after I was enjoying my first meal in Thailand: an excellent Tom Yum soup.

Bangkok


We happened on a group of construction workers, clad in blue and swarming various food stands at lunchtime.

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok


Later, we took the subway to Lumphini Park. We found an outdoor muscle farm, a massive, public dance-aerobics session, and the first friendly cats we'd seen in a long time.

Bangkok

Bangkok


At night, not wasting any time, we ventured into seedy Bangkok and saw our first ping-pong show. It was simultaneously depressing and fascinating. After each trick, we applauded enthusiastically, both to communicate our amazement to the performers and to break, however fleetingly, the morose mood of the place.

Bangkok

Bangkok

We were even roped into a scam; I took it as our official welcome to Bangkok.

1 comment:

Obama had a big plan for Bangkok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxNJg7d7D_s

---

She looks awesome from behind like all women do.  


Older

       

Newer