I've set my times in the Philippines and Japan on the shelf. Neat capsules of experience, sharply delineated in memory, bookended by flights and train rides. Along with the first two months here in South Korea, they are periods convoluted with new sights, sounds and ideas. An extended highlight reel.

What begins now is that amorphous thing. That fuzzy, glossed-over, grey, mundane thing: daily routine. After the initial wide-eyed romp and gallop in a new city, I now take a deep breath and immerse myself in the cycle.

There's value in this, too. I have a chance now -- a slim shot -- at graduating beyond mere tourist-status. Hang on to your bonnets! Here come that real boring stuff!

Yeah, okay, there might be some fun things. I'll try to steer clear. Disillusionment here I come! Ennui go!

PS. Camera still broken. New one coming? Future = Pictures? Probably?

3 comments :

Good luck with your future "graduation" and camera procurement. My quesion:
Is there a posted of hierarchy of statuses somewhere? Like what is below tourist status? And what is at the top of the heap?  


Inferno Level 1: Turistas.
Then: Everybody Else.

That's my heap.  


Oh, expats are in there somewhere. (Probably just doomed to stay tourists, really.)  


Older

       

Newer